Posted on November 15, 2011 by Matthew
As you probably all know from this year, there were some deaths during some triathlon races this year. The incident rates are very low. Check out this article from the Washington Post. You can also read the article from JAMA as well. As an athlete and coach, I encourage you to get a physical to help mitigate any future potential concerns. Training for triathlon is a very safe activity to perform. Just make sure you know the status of your body. This will help decrease the risk of anything happening.
BTW, the computrainer rides are on hold as of now – 4800 Gym is looking to sell the system – we’ll keep you posted!
Filed under: News | Leave a comment »
Posted on November 10, 2011 by Matthew
The Hour of Power is Upon Us!
Get ready to be in front of the pack for next year by training with the Bozeman Triton Triathlon Club Computrainer Rides. Rides will occur Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from January 10th, 2012 – May 5th, 2012. We will stick with the same format as last year:
- Sign up is first come, first serve – we basically have a total of 16 slots
- Once you commit, you will be added to a shared Google document where you can sign up for your slot
- There are 8 slots available for each time
- Make sure you schedule yourself on the Google document; we don’t want to double book anybody
- Make sure you take your name off the Google document in case you need to cancel
- If you want to drop in, you may or may not get a spot!
- Riders can choose Tuesday or Thursday
- These rides last up to an hour
- These rides start promptly at 6pm (make sure to get there before to set up)
- A thorough warm up will be followed with an interval based program to help increase your functional capacity on the bike
- These rides are hosted by a Club member
- Matt Parks will host on most Tuesdays during the program
- We need someone else to host on Thursdays, any takers?
- These rides will include functional assessments of your fitness on the bike – reassessments will occur to see how much you have improved from each training cycle
- Dependent upon the interest, riders may be able to sign up for both days
- A longer-distance ride will occur on Saturday morning
- These rides are not hosted
- In the past, we have seen people ride for 3+ hours
- Start for this ride is 10am
- Assumption is not everyone will want to ride on this day
Remember!!! BTTC members has access to our own Computrainer during regular 4800 Gym class times; this is free and part of your Triton membership; if you are interested in this, please contact Matthew Parks to get added to the Google document for scheduling. If you do not know how to operate the Computrainer, you must get an orientation from one of the BTTC members/coaches (fees may apply).
Cost of the program:
- The BTTC is getting a steal of a deal!
- Option #1: $180 for 17 weeks
- Option #2: $50 for any consecutive 4 week time period
- Matthew Parks is the bill collector for 4800 Gym (check or cash only)
The past couple of years, we have had a strong group of riders from week to week. Dependent upon interest levels, we will expand days, but only if there is enough interest. Although, these are group rides, you will always be working against yourself (we may throw a few races in here and there). You will never be dropped, and you will always be encouraged and motivated to finish to the best of your ability. Make sure you are rested, well hydrated, and ate a good lunch with an afternoon snack the day of the ride. If you have further questions, please contact Matthew Parks at 406 580 7987.
Matthew Parks owns and operates Moving Forward, a local triathlon coaching and sports massage business. He has volunteered with the Tritons for the past several years. He is a USAT Level 1 Certified Coach. With over 17 years of experience, he can assist you with your training program and answer questions you may have.
Filed under: News | Leave a comment »
Posted on November 4, 2011 by T. Thatcher
Everyone is invited to join us for our Triton Fall Gathering:
When: Friday, November 11th, 5:30 – 7 PM
Where: 612 West Main St. Bozeman (bottom floor of the Northern Rockies Psychoanalytic Institute)
Food and Drink: Tritons will supply some snacks. Please bring your beverage of choice.
We do have some business to attend to. First up, we will hopefully be doing our winter Computrainer rides starting in January. We’d like to get an idea of who is interested in participating so we can get the program in place. Julie Zichovich is pulling together a series of triathlon clinics, most likely hosted by REI. Any input that folks have on content would be appreciated. The Powder Hound Winter Triathlon is on again for this year. We may be looking for some hardy souls to help with the event on race day. And don’t forget, the Tritons will once again be hosting the local Sprint and Long Course triathlons (Bozeman Tritons Triathlon) this year on Sunday July 29, 2012. This is a huge effort to put on and was received by the racers with a lot of enthusiasm last year. We are already starting to get next year’s race rolling and we need some folks to step forward and be part of the effort. More information on that at the meeting. If you can’t attend the meeting and want to be involved in either the winter riding or race planning, please let me know!
Filed under: Bozeman Tritons Triathlon, Events, News, Uncategorized | Leave a comment »